The filing deadline for Illinois income tax returns has been extended

Robert Tighe

Posted By: Robert Tighe

The Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) is following the federal government in providing special tax filing and payment relief to individuals and businesses in response to the COVID-19 Outbreak.

The filing deadline for Illinois income tax returns has been extended from

April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020.


This filing and payment relief includes:

The 2019 income tax filing and payment deadlines for all taxpayers who file and pay their Illinois income taxes on April 15, 2020, are automatically extended until July 15, 2020. This relief applies to all individual returns, trusts, and corporations. This relief is automatic, taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call IDOR to qualify.

Penalties and interest will begin to accrue on any remaining unpaid balances as of July 16, 2020. You will automatically avoid interest and penalties on the taxes paid by July 15, 2020.

Even though the deadline has been extended, IDOR encourages taxpayers expecting a refund to file as soon as they can. The fastest, most secure way to receive a refund is to file tax returns electronically and request direct deposit into a checking or savings account. Taxpayers who have already filed a return can check the status of their return by using the Where’s My Refund? link located at Individuals may also utilize MyTax Illinois to make payments and look up their IL-PINs, amounts of any estimated tax payments they have made, and, when necessary, amounts reported on Form 1099-G.


If you have any additional questions please call us at 847-695-2700, email your TKO accountant/representative or visit us at

All content provided on the TKO Insights website is for informational purposes only. Any tax advice contained in this communication (including attachments or links) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party the matter or transaction addressed herein. We recommend you consult your tax, audit, accounting or business valuation advisor related to any content on this site.