- Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
- Certified Valuation Analyst, National
- Certified QuickBooks Professional Advisor
- Memberships / Boards:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Illinois CPA Society, Member
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, Member
- Government Finance Officers Association, Member
- Better Business Bureau, Board Member
- Concordia University Chicago, Foundation Board Member
- Illinois CPA society Governmental Report Review Committee, Former Board Member
- The Kiwanis Club of Elgin, Corporate member and Co-Treasurer
- Boy Scout Troop 46, Merit Badge Counselor and Assistant Scout Master
- Friends of Fox Valley Youth, Treasurer
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Finance Committee, Former Committee Member
- St. Peter Lutheran Church, Schaumburg, Former Treasurer
- Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates Traveling Vietnam Wall Committee, Inc., Former Board Member
- Dominican University, Former Adjunct Professor
- Concordia University Chicago, Former Adjunct Professor
- Masters of Science in Taxation
- B.S., Major/Minor – Accounting/Business Administration
River Forest, IL
Robert T. Tighe, CPA, MST, CVA
Bob is a founding shareholder of the firm, and is the Principal in Charge of the audit department, the business valuation department and the construction, manufacturing and distributions division of the firm. His area of concentration is in accounting, general business planning and tax consulting for middle-market and closely held businesses.
Prior to establishing Tighe, Kress & Orr, Bob was with Arthur Andersen LLP and RSM McGladrey in Chicago. Bob believes in maintaining close contact with each of his clients and their business. For many years, he has worked with prominent construction, manufacturing and distribution clients in the Chicago area, which has enabled him to consult on very complex issues.
Bob’s accomplishments include helping his clients’ structure new tax entities to reduce liability and reduce taxes. He has handled complex compliance and consulting areas of work to include: C Corporation, S Corporation, partnerships, trust and individual type returns. He has in-depth experience with QuickBooks and Peachtree and has on many occasions acted as an internal CFO/Controller for the business he supports. On many occasions he has been able to “setup” a client so that they were able to do the majority of their accounting within their organization. He has also been involved in organization and liquidation of foreign and domestic companies and consulting on tax-free reorganizations, often saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax. Bob’s experience also includes conducting and overseeing numerous IRS and states audits, most of which resulted in “No Change” letters from the IRS.
Bob is a Certified Valuation Analyst with the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts. He performs business and stock valuations for the following purposes: transaction (acquisition, divestiture and reorganizations), taxation (federal income, gift, and estate), dispute resolution, and management information and planning. Bob believes that business valuations help owners understand their business so much better and in many situations provide opportunities to make the business more profitable and help owners with succession plans.
Bob is very involved in the community and uses his expertise in non-for-profit accounting and auditing to provide volunteer services to a local youth organization where he serves as the Treasurer. In that role and previous roles he has been very involved in all financial decisions of a multi-million dollar organization and consults regularly on budgetary and long-term planning issues. He has many years of governmental and non-for-profit audit experience and currently is involved with over 45 audits annually. Bob has taught the MBA Financial Accounting course at Concordia University Chicago, the MSA Taxation course at Dominican University and is a former member of the Illinois CPA Societies Governmental Report Review Board.
Knowing his clients as individuals and their goals as business owners has enabled Bob the ability to help clients minimize their taxes and optimize profits. Bob prides himself with “listening” to the clients needs so that he can really provide the best possible solutions to their business needs. Bob attributes his success to open dialogue, frequent communication, and understanding the benefits of teamwork and goal setting.
Away from the office, Bob enjoys scouting, golfing & fishing, vacationing and spending time with his family. Bob was an officer in the Army reserves for close to 10 years and has served in Iraq. He resides in Elgin with his wife, Chrissy, and their children, Johnny and Margaret.